Lunch place: Rosie

Saturday, August 22, 2015

I haven't done this in such a long while that I have almost forgotten how it's done. 

This morning I looked out the kitchen window and was overwhelmed by: 
  • the pink flower trees in full bloom. Fluro pink, guys, the most bright pink flowers surround our house
  • a swarm of tiny honey sucking birds overly excited within these flowers. They were having so much fun, it was almost scary.
The warm weather is definitely on its way. I'm still freezing, but the sun lingers longer after work, and my appetite longs for fresher ingredients.

The day-long tramp was cancelled, but I got to grab brunch with my side kicks at Rosie, voted the best cafe of the year by Metro. 
J said it was always crowded. He had tried to come by with his wife, but could never get a table. Well, he was in luck, because I wasn't going to leave until we did dine in here. Who knows when else we'd get the chance? Oh, L, we will come back, for you, of course!
We did have to wait a bit, but with sparkling water in our hands and colourful pouffs to sit on, we didn't mind too much. I chose the dishes for the boys, the bossy friend that I am. 

Ox tongue and bone marrow was perfect for a still chilly day like today. Ox tongue is so tender. I love bone marrow. 

Butcher's sausage topped with watercress. We loved the presentation. It's almost more of a restaurant here than a cafe. Actually, not many people realise but Rosie does dinners, too, and they serve alcohol. 
Smashed herbed eggs with halloumi, finely chopped pumpkin and puree. A wonderful mixture of different textures. I love halloumi cheese, possibly because it's made from a mixture of goat and sheep milk, which tend to have a stronger taste than cow milk. I realised that I am shifting away from my French cheeses, preferring mozarella and halloumi more and more over comte and chevres that I used to love. I still love French cheese, but I do love exploring new tastes. 

We would have loved to linger and chat longer, but there were a line of people waiting to take our places. On our way out, we bumped into my flatmate, who had also come to enjoy her lunch here. See, our household appreciates good food establishments. 

I'm so coming back for a dinner date. 

82 Gladstone Road, 
Parnell, Auckland 1011
Click to add a blog post for Rosie on Zomato

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Life

“When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
- Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist -

About Food

“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
- Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own -


About Dreams

“Savoir, penser, rêver. Tout est là.”
- Victor Hugo -

Subscribe