Brunch place: Manchester Press

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Fourteen years ago, my best friend left for Melbourne, Australia. We were baking buddies and playground buddies and acting buddies and reading buddies... I remember once when her family went away on holiday, leaving us in charge of her pet rabbit... that got taken by the neighbour cat one night. I was horrified and couldn't face J when she came back to find that her bunny had gone...
For fourteen years we had been apart but our reunion was not at all awkward. Facebook helps to ease much of the awkwardness, I guess. But in part it's also because J looks much the same as she had at the age of nine, and so do I. Oh, except for her Aussie twang. 
J chose Manchester Press as our brunch spot. She thought it'd be the sort of place I would like. You've guessed well, J! Manchester Press is a hidden gem in Melbourne CBD, known for its bagels. I had a BLAT (bacon, lettuce, avocado, tomato) bagel with a pot of lemongrass tea, because of my cold. The bagel was warm and not too chewy so I had no problems cutting little slices. I love when the knife works well. The lemongrass was more berry than lemongrassy, for some reason - it was bright pinky red.
We were able to walk right in and find a corner of a table straight away, but others were not as lucky and had to wait for their seats. Names get written on the brick wall already white with remnants of wait listed diners past.
Manchester Press
8 Rankins Lane - off Little Bourke Street, Melbourne
Mon-Fri 7am-5pm
Sat/Sun 9am-5pm

Manchester Press on Urbanspoon

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Life

“When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
- Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist -

About Food

“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
- Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own -


About Dreams

“Savoir, penser, rêver. Tout est là.”
- Victor Hugo -

Subscribe