Being girly and wearing girly

Friday, December 19, 2014

Once upon a time, a friend said to me, 'you are girlier than you realise, you know.' It was random, it was a surprise, but it was nice. I understood it to be a compliment.

More recently, though, another friend suggested that I should make more girly choices for my wardrobe. That kind of hurt, because while I choose my pieces more for its functionality and minimalism, I don't think they are particularly 'manly,' as he says.

It got me thinking:

  • Should I dress more girly, even if I already feel girly enough
  • What does it mean to be girly, any how? 

Makeup, slim heels, and fitted clothes? Pinks, perfect hair, puffs of perfume, and a slim body shape?

Dress like the French, he says, you are in a country of chic -

The "French chic lady" seem to be into classic pieces, neutral colours, a flirty play on textures and minimalism. But you know what? Plenty of masculine pieces in their wardrobes, too.

I don't know what I'm missing that's in their wardrobe but not mine?

Not as many variety of items, maybe? Perhaps, the attitude. That could very well be it. The je-ne-sais-quoi, I'm-sexy-in-whatever-I-wear. Well, I guess I'm not.

Dress more like a lady, he says. What do your ladies wear?

I'm sorry I don't have the style, the body, nor the attitude of French ladies. I am all for looking well put-together and even ladylike, too, but I am not perfect.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Life

“When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
- Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist -

About Food

“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
- Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own -


About Dreams

“Savoir, penser, rêver. Tout est là.”
- Victor Hugo -

Subscribe