4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days (2007) Cristian Mungiu

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

4 luni, 3 săptămâni şi 2 zile

A Romanian movie set in 1987, about two girls in a life changing experience through illegal abortion.

Films I think are good are mainly because of my reactions. There are films, though considered classics, that I fall asleep in the middle of, so I don't appreciate as much. Some I like because I have no idea what to expect; others precisely because I do.

Though at times I may squeam because the story makes me feel so uncomfortable, and I may not like the narrative, I will have to accept that it is a good film.

4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days... What will I learn from this movie? It was very uncomfortable. I wanted it to finish so quickly. A frustratingly slow film.

The pregnant Gabita, is so weak, so annoyingly helpless, in her dead neutral colours. The abortion events do not change her much. Otilia, on the other hand, is the one who is more affected. She wears green, the colour of life. Anamaria Marinca does a brilliant job in portraying her character. How much is a friendship worth? Otilia goes through way more than I think anyone should ask of her. She is the one who makes the decisions for her friend, the one who understands what is happening.

With plan-esque, wide screens, no music; no cutting and no close ups, we don't get the usual effects of artistic edits. The opening scene starts with the two girls in middle of a conversation; the last scene stops in the middle of a gesture. These effects show the film as being a fragmentation of real life. Perhaps because they portray the real life so convincingly, the film brings up much emotions from many.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Life

“When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
- Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist -

About Food

“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
- Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own -


About Dreams

“Savoir, penser, rêver. Tout est là.”
- Victor Hugo -

Subscribe