Why the French have to go to multiple toilets

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Pourquoi dit-on en Belgique : 'Je vais à la toilette' et en France : 'Je vais aux toilettes'?

Parce qu’en France il faut en visiter plusieurs pour en trouver une qui est propre.

A French joke:

Why do the Belgians say, 'I need to go to the toilet (singular)', and the French say, 'I need to go to the toilets (plural)'?

Because the French have to go to several before they can find one that is clean!

Haha. This is a question I posed my French fiancé on the confusing grammar rule when it comes to always using the plural toilets even though there is clearly only one toilet, at home, for example. His very convincing reason, 'Just because,' didn't cut it out for me, but now I understand better! ;)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Life

“When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
- Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist -

About Food

“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
- Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own -


About Dreams

“Savoir, penser, rêver. Tout est là.”
- Victor Hugo -

Subscribe